Monday, June 1, 2015

Updates From the Homestead

 
For those of you who have been following Crooked Coop Farm's blog you may have noticed it has not only been a bit neglected the past few months but has also lost some of it's content. Well.... sorry my fault.....For those of you who are new to the blog welcome and  I will try not to let it happen again. :)
 
Being the ultra tech wavy person I am not I somehow managed to delete all of the photos on the blog my misunderstanding the "cloud" that held all of our pictures. Doing so left a large amount of our posts useless without the images they needed. I was able to find a few images from our Pinterest account rescuing a small amount of posts but pretty much we are starting over and moving on. Mistakes will happen right? Now let's move forward...
 
So here we go updates from the homestead from the past few months!
 
This summer is a big one for us pretty much the biggest we have has so far. We are tending to the largest garden we have ever had in hopes what we have planted will grow and we will have plenty of USDA certified organic produce to take to the farmer's markets. The image above is our youngest son playing in the garden before we began planting. It is a tad intimidating to stand in a garden that big prepared only with an idea and notes from gardening books we have read, but we are giving it a go and growing out first market garden. We will keep you posted as to where you can find our farm at markets (God willing), what produce we will have in season and also recipes that use our product. After all if you buy one of our delicious rutabaga this season it would be nice to know what to do with it.
 
 
 
There have been some more firsts on the farm this spring. We delivered our first lamb to our ewe Banana and successfully sheared our ram Wooly. We have sheared Wooly in the past but it wasn't as smooth of a process as it was this year. This time were able to get his coat off in one piece rather than in random chunks flying everywhere and causing a mess. We sheared him right on pasture which I think made things easier, and less of a job to clean up. After he was sheared we trimmed his hooves and gave him his shots. Wooly was a lot happier once he was cooled off.

 
 
Here is little lamb (yes that is his name not just a title) following his mother Banana (named by a 5 year old) It was a scary delivery for us because a few weeks prior our other ewe Cabbage (also named by a 5 year old) lost her twins during delivery. I will skip from sharing the details of her delivery but the tragic loss was a first for us causing a bit of anxiety when it came to delivering the second time. I couldn't believe how intense delivering an animal is. I have delivered three children of my own and I don't know which was more nerve wracking hers or mine... ok mine were but Banana's came as a close second.
  
 
Looking to find a bright side to loosing the lamb twins we were able to learn how to milk our sheep. It wasn't something that we continued but we did save some of her colostrum in the event of a farm emergency and we needed it for a different lamb. Thank goodness we didn't!
 
 
That wasn't our only loss this year... I am terribly sad to say we lost our alpaca chestnut. He was a weird animal to have I must admit. He didn't like a lot of attention or to be touched, he kinda minded his own business and kept to himself, but I think that is why I liked him to much. He was mellow I liked that, and will miss watching his weird self wander around the pasture. We had him separated from our ram Wooly but while we were away Wooly managed to break through Chestnut's fencing and rammed him. He was alive when we got home and I was able to get Wooly away but Chestnut died shortly after. We are learning that life and death are just nature on the farm.
 
 
But let us end on a positive note shall we? In the meantime while we are waiting for our crops to grow you can still find Crooked Coop Farm at the Oconomowoc Wisconsin Farmer's market every Saturday. I am set up there every week with my  pallet art and wood signs from 7 till noon and I love visitors so feel free to stop by and keep me company under my big white market tent. I will be at other events later this fall so if Saturday mornings don't work for you don't worry we will find something that does ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry about your loses, but you are right it is a way of life on the farm. I would love to see more of your farm booth, I am doing the same thing this spring and summer and just like seeing set up ideas from others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I will share new photos on our Facebook and our blog soon I made some new displays for my tent that I should have up this weekend. We rotate my artwork and our produce every week so I am trying to find a way to make the tent look cohesive between the two. I started following your blog it looks really nice!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...