Friday, June 12, 2015

Cast Iron Cooking Southwest Style




I am learning how great cast iron cooking is. Until recently I never really thought about cast iron, but my husband bought a skillet so I guess I should know how to use it right? What is so nice about cast Iron is cooking and baking in the same dish...perfect for melting cheese on this southwestern skillet.... my first cast iron experience.

I just winged it but the dish turned out pretty good so I thought I would share....


Ingredients:

  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 lbs ground beef
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp lemon peel
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1 tsp chili pepper
  • 1 diced bell pepper
  • 2 cups rotini
  • 1 can corn drained
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar
  • diced green onion for garnish

What I did:
  • I heated up my skillet and added the coconut oil. Once the oil was warmed and covered the cast iron I added my garlic and onion heating until they both became transparent. 
  • Next  I added the ground beef and cooked it thoroughly seasoning as I went.
  • After the beef was browned I added my pepper, diced tomato, corn, pasta and water and brought the mixture to a boil.
  • When the pasta was ready and much of the water was reduced I covered the dish with my cheese and put it in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
Easy enough hey? I let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving then garnished it with the green onion, and served it with a dollop of sour cream.

The best part of the dish aside from being easy was I thought it was tasty too, and so did my 4 and 6 year old boys who gobbled it up with no fuss. My 11 month old baby even loved it...success in my book!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...