Thursday, November 20, 2014

Painting a Tree Mural

 
Recently I was asked to paint a mural for a little girls new bedroom. The home owner is renovating an 1880s farmhouse and I was lucky enough to participate in the renovation by leaving my tattoo on their walls. Painting murals is one of my favorite projects and the larger and more colorful the better for me. I feel a lot more comfortable painting something loud and large rather than something  small which I think is kind of ironic because I  am a naturally quiet person.
 
 
 To start a mural this size I always begin with an outline copied from my original design. I freehand this rather than using any type of graph or projection and my end result is pretty on par with my drawing.
 
 
After it is drawn I may edit a few elements to make the design fit with the wall and fill in the outline with a base color. 


 
 
After my base color for the tree was in I added highlights and lowlights.

 
Next I added the grass and the leaves. The owner only wanted a few so I saved the placement for last.



 
 
Once the room is finished the homeowner is going to add a swing from the ceiling next to the window to give it the look of a tree swing. I love this idea and think it will complement the design perfectly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...