Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hand Painted Chrysanthemum Inspired Patio Furniture



Over the past few months I have been working with a client designing and creating this custom furniture piece for their pool area. I was contacted by this customer after they purchased a gift card for custom artwork I submitted to a fund raiser for the Make-A-Wish foundation. I try to support Make-A-Wish and other similar fundraisers that work with children when I can. I have seen within our own family how they can make a difference to families in need, and being a parent myself I feel supporting these organizations is the least I can do. 

My gift card was for a specific dollar amount off a piece of custom art chosen by the recipient. I was excited  to hear that the purchaser wanted a buffet table custom painted since painting furniture is kind of my thing. After going over a few of my designs my client chose a chrysanthemum inspired pattern and I got to work. I was 9 months pregnant  when I painted this piece so it took a little longer than usual for me to complete it but once it was done I was very happy with the results and more importantly so was the owner. 

Before I painted the piece I first sanded it with an 80 grit sandpaper to give the table a rough finish so the primer and paint had something to stick to. Next I used a water based primer and primed the entire piece. I did this mainly to give it a cohesive background color to paint on since the original background was a variety of different shades of color. I finished the piece by painting it with Rust-oleums glossy outdoor oil based paint. I bought just a few of my staple colors red, blue, yellow, black and white and then mixed my colors to match the colors of my original design. I always prefer to mix my own color rather than buying them because it gives me the exact color I need and I feel my pieces are more original that way. Not that I will turn down a premixed color though... I am a bit of a color junkie. Finally since this is an outdoor piece it was sealed with a clear coat of polyurethane.







Now that I have the table complete I am on the scout for 4 metal chairs I can paint a similar red color and a matching umbrella. Once I have those I will also paint the umbrella stand in a coordinating color. I am also thinking that a black and white geometric or tribal looking seat cushion would really be a good idea too. This piece is still a work in progress but I have the bulk of the project complete. I'll keep you posted.


Oh ans P.S. I am no longer pregnant! We welcomed a beautiful and healthy baby girl to our family since this table was completed two weeks ago...

Meet Corinna LuMaye


She was 6 pounds 11 ounces and fitting in with her brothers just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...