I try to prepare my family's meals around a vegetable rather than just using it as a side to reduce how much meat we eat. We are in no way vegetarians, but I feel fruits and vegetables are the most necessary component to a meal, and they offer the most vitamins and minerals that we all need to fight off sickness and keep our minds sharp.
To make these colorful beauties I first mixed the following ingredients in a medium sized bowl while cooking 1/2 cup of white rice....
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 small diced red onion
- 1 small bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
- salt, pepper, garlic to taste
To finish the pepper recipe...
- slice the tops off three peppers and hollow them out.
- once your rice is ready combine it with your vegetable mixture
- fill your peppers with the mixture
- place the tops and bottoms on a baking sheet filled with a half inch of water
- top with your choice of cheese ( I used a cheddar because that is what we had)
- place the pan in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 1 hour
- once they are ready place the tops on the peppers and serve.