Thursday, June 5, 2014

Highchair Make Over

The majority of my artwork is made up of recycling what is old into something new and of that furniture make overs are my favorite. I love the history of a piece with worn edges and scuffed up stain, and the story that broken hardware tells. From the old story I give the piece new life with a little refinishing and a chance to live again making new memories for a future family. 
I found this vintage worn highchair at a thrift store not long ago, the structure was great but as you can see the finish could use some love. I cleaned the piece up and painted it with DecoArt's Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint in the color "Refreshing" and sealed it with their Creme Wax. This was my first time using this paint and sealant and I really loved the end results. It took a couple of coats to cover the existing color but once I did the color is strong and the finish is smooth, especially after finishing with the wax.



Right now I have this piece for sale at the Oconomowoc Farmer's Market the second and fourth Saturday of each month, but if I still have it available by the time my next one needs it I might just have to keep it for myself. I love the look of having a variety of old, new and refinished furniture and decor in my home. It provides an eclectic collection and a look of pieces found throughout time rather than having furniture that has been bought in sets. This piece has been gaining a lot of attention and positive feedback though so I think I might have to scout out a different highchair if I want once for myself. This once might not last long.




The blanket was made for baby by Grandma isn't it beautiful? I cant wait to see my little one wrapped in it!




2 comments:

  1. Hey! Following back. Isn't Dawn the greatest?!

    LOVE the highchair! Great color.

    Also, Oconomowoc? You & I are pretty close! I'm in SE WI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Amy stop by the market one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...