Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Pizza Dinner

From our backyard to our plate:
Summer Pizza Dinner




I don't think I am the only mom around who has a hard time getting her little ones to eat their veggies. I try to make exciting menus for the kids and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and when I find a good one I like to share it. Here is a pizza dinner that partially came from our garden that the kiddos loved. 

I had some Italian bread left from a previous dinner that I sliced thin and topped with a homemade pizza sauce. Since we began canning I always make my own sauce it doesn't take long and it always tastes great. 

To make it I:
  • take a small can of tomato paste and mix it with a can of water over medium heat.
  • add a tablespoon or two of sugar to lighten the acidity.
  • let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • to season I use fresh basil and oregano from the garden a pinch or two of salt and a few shakes of granulated garlic. I like a lot of basil so I am usually heavy with it but make it to your taste not mine.

My pizza is them topped with
  • my sauce
  • mozzarella
  • fresh tomato preferably from the garden
  • spinach again from the garden if available
  • and a dash more mozzarella
I bake it at 400 for 12-15 min on a slightly greased pizza pan, and I garnished it with asparagus from the asparagus patch in back that has been sauteed in butter with a pinch of salt and pepper.The pizza was easier to get them to eat than the asparagus but I thought it tasted great.









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...